Meeting Time and Format
The Astrophysics Seminar/Journal Club meets in 338 Gallalee Hall on:
1. Wednesdays from 2:00 – 3:00p.m. and
2. Fridays from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Anyone in the department may attend.
On Wednesday’s we participate in the live broadcast of colloquium talks hosted by NASA/AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute. The schedule for the talks is available here.
The Friday meeting consists of two segments:
- 20-minute talk (+10 minute discussion)
- article summary and discussion (5-10 minutes)
Volunteering for Article Summaries
Please propose articles that are fairly recent (within a few months or so), are of interest to you, and you feel you can digest and summarize well. Check out the list of previously presented articles.
Where to Find Articles
- astro-ph on arXiv: “the firehose,” raw and unfettered
- The Astrophysical Journal: the main U.S. journal for astrophysics
- The Astrophysical Journal: Letters: short articles selected to highlight topics of broad interest
- The Astronomical Journal: complement of ApJ with slightly more observation-oriented content
- Astronomy and Astrophysics: main European journal, letters section at the beginning of each issue, each issue sectioned by topic (not all topics appear in each issue)
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: main British journal, also has a letters section.
- Astroparticle Physics: some IceCube results are published here, also a good place for dark matter and cosmic ray work
- Physical Review D: broader scope — this is the Physical Review section that includes particle astrophysics and cosmology
Schedule for Fall 2019
|Date||Talk (Speaker, Article)||Summary (Speaker, Article)|
“Search for PeV Gamma-Ray Emission from the Southern Hemisphere with 5 Years of Data from the IceCube Observatory” Aartsen et al. (arXiv:1908.09918)
|09/13||Gallalee Hall rooftop telescope training (Keel)|
“AGN Properties of Post Mergers in SDSS”
“From dark matter to stellar halo with CoSANG”
“Cosmological Simulations of Galaxy Formation” Vogelsberger et al. (arXiv:1909.07976)
“What Determines the Sizes of Bars in Spiral Galaxies?” Erwin (arXiv:1908.08423)
“Understanding Barred galaxies in the local universe”
“The Progenitors of Calcium-Strong Transients” Shen et al. (arXiv:1908.08056)
“Unveiling the Origin of Fossil Groups”
“The Fates of the Circumgalactic Medium in the FIRE Simulations” Hafen et al. (arXiv:1910.01123)
“Dark matter halo shapes in the Auriga simulations” Prada et al. (arXiv:1910.04045)
“On the origin of the chemical bimodality of disk stars: A tale of merger and migration” (https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.09162)
“A New Class of Changing-look LiNERS” Frederick et al. (2019ApJ…883…31F)Wenhao Li
“Two New “Turn-off” Changing-look Active Galactic nuclei and Implication on “Partially Obscured” AGNs” Wang et al. (arXiv:1910.02392)
|11/01||(no meeting, mid-semester study break)|
“A New Population of Ultra-High-Energy Gamma-Ray Sources Detected by HAWC” (https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.08609)
“The Size, Shape, and Scattering of Sagittarius A* at 86 GHz: First VLBI with ALMA” (https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.06226)
|11/15||Nirmal Baral||Ava Ghadimi
|11/22||Samuel Boos||Anna Parul, Marko Micic|
|11/29||(no meeting, Thanksgiving break)||(no meeting, Thanksgiving break)|
|12/06||Marko Micic||Nirmal Baral|
Archive of previously presented articles.