The University of Alabama Department of Physics and Astronomy offers many great opportunities for undergraduates to complete research projects alongside faculty and grad students. Research significantly enhances a student’s understanding of the scientific process and the field of physics and astronomy, and is a critical component of a student’s qualifications for graduate programs.
We provide many opportunities for juniors and seniors majoring in physics, or related fields, to be involved in active research on cutting edge scientific topics.
If you are a student looking to get into research and something sounds interesting to you, please email the faculty member and make an appointment to discuss research with them.
Current & Recent Projects
- Quantifying spiral arm structures in nearby galaxies.
- Ben Runge, Carlisle Wishard / Dr. Nair
- Structural decomposition of barred galaxies in the HST COSMOS field.
- Alex Hoffmann / Dr. Nair
- Applying pattern recognition techniques to galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey and the Illustris simulation.
- John Andrews / Dr. Nair
- Photometry of Galaxy Zoo collisional ring galaxies.
- Kevin Battles / Dr. Keel
- Studying the Outskirts of Non-Cool Core Galaxy Clusters With Suzaku
- Kaitlyn Lyle / Dr. Irwin
- How quickly do the properties of dark matter halos change?
- Michael Sitarz / Dr. Bailin
- The formation of warps in galaxy formation simulations
- Kevin Battles / Dr. Bailin
- Synthetic images of simulated galaxies
- Matthew Leeds / Dr. Bailin
- Verifying Shock-capturing Methods for Hydrodynamic Simulations in Degenerate Matter
- Broxton Miles / Dr. Townsley
- Census of star formation in the galaxy cluster Abell 851, from Kitt Peak imagery and correlated with galaxy structures from Hubble data
- Christy Hyde / Dr. Keel
- Surface photometry of Seyfert galaxies from Hubble archival data, part of a wider project on the history of supermassive black holes
- Cassandra Morton / Dr. Keel
- Connections between dust structures in galaxy nuclei, from Hubble data, and structures in the outer regions of the galaxies as seen in ground-based images
- Stephanie Cunningham / Dr. Keel
- A&S Undergraduate Research
- UA Undergrad Research Conference
- NSF REU summer programs (Research Experience for Undergraduates)
- APS Internships & Summer Programs
- AAS: Summer Opportunities
- Astrobetter: Summer Internship Advice and Opportunities
- Planning to be an Astronomer? Plan you Education
- AAS: Careers in Astronomy Guide (pdf)
- AAS: Career Resources
- Astrobites: Summaries of recent journal papers for undergrads and grads