Meeting Time and Format
The Astrophysics Seminar/Journal Club meets in 200 Gallalee Hall on:
1. Wednesdays from 2:30 – 3:30p.m. and
2. Fridays from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Anyone in the department may attend.
On Wednesday’s we participate in the live broadcast of colloquium talks hosted by NASA/AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute. The schedule for the talks is available here.
The Friday meeting consists of two segments:
- 20-minute talk (+10 minute discussion)
- article summary and discussion (5-10 minutes)
Please note, refreshments including tea, coffee, and snacks are provided on Wednesdays thanks to the dept. and Karen Lynn. Students are expected to help with clean up. Please unplug all kettles and move leftover refreshments either to GL227 (if a colloquium is taking place) or to the kitchen.
Volunteering for Article Summaries
Please propose articles that are fairly recent (within a few months or so), are of interest to you, and you feel you can digest and summarize well. Check out the list of previously presented articles.
Where to Find Articles
- astro-ph on arXiv: “the firehose,” raw and unfettered
- The Astrophysical Journal: the main U.S. journal for astrophysics
- The Astrophysical Journal: Letters: short articles selected to highlight topics of broad interest
- The Astronomical Journal: complement of ApJ with slightly more observation-oriented content
- Astronomy and Astrophysics: main European journal, letters section at the beginning of each issue, each issue sectioned by topic (not all topics appear in each issue)
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: main British journal, also has a letters section.
- Astroparticle Physics: some IceCube results are published here, also a good place for dark matter and cosmic ray work
- Physical Review D: broader scope — this is the Physical Review section that includes particle astrophysics and cosmology
Schedule for Fall 2017
|Date||Talk (Speaker, Article)||Summary (Speaker, Article)|
|10/27||No Event (Mid-semester study break)||No Event (Mid-semester study break)|
|11/24||No Event (Thanksgiving break)||No Event (Thanksgiving break)|
Archive of previously presented articles.