Meeting Time and Format
The Astrophysics Seminar/Journal Club meets in 223 Gallalee Hall on:
1. Wednesdays from 2:30 – 3:30p.m. and
2. Fridays from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Anyone in the department may attend.
On Wednesday’s we participate in the live broadcast of colloquium talks hosted by NASA/AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute. The schedule for the talks is available here.
The Friday meeting consists of two segments:
- 20-minute talk (+10 minute discussion)
- article summary and discussion (5-10 minutes)
Volunteering for Article Summaries
Please propose articles that are fairly recent (within a few months or so), are of interest to you, and you feel you can digest and summarize well. Check out the list of previously presented articles.
Where to Find Articles
- astro-ph on arXiv: “the firehose,” raw and unfettered
- The Astrophysical Journal: the main U.S. journal for astrophysics
- The Astrophysical Journal: Letters: short articles selected to highlight topics of broad interest
- The Astronomical Journal: complement of ApJ with slightly more observation-oriented content
- Astronomy and Astrophysics: main European journal, letters section at the beginning of each issue, each issue sectioned by topic (not all topics appear in each issue)
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: main British journal, also has a letters section.
- Astroparticle Physics: some IceCube results are published here, also a good place for dark matter and cosmic ray work
- Physical Review D: broader scope — this is the Physical Review section that includes particle astrophysics and cosmology
Schedule for Spring 2017
|Date||Talk (Speaker, Article)||Summary (Speaker, Article)|
|2/3||Bill Keel – Highlights from the AAS winter meeting|
“The Unexpected Results of Verification”
“Outbursts in Two New Cool Pulsating DA White Dwarfs” Bell et al.
“What’s Hot and What’s Not: First Look at New Fossil Progenitor HST and Chandra Images”
“A Computer-generated Visual Morphology Catalog of ~3,000,000 SDSS Galaxies“
“The Galaxy End Sequence”
|3/31||Shahram Talei||Colin Hancock
|4/7||No Event (Honors Day)||No Event (Honors Day)|
|4/14||Nirmal Baral||Xiaotao Wang|
|4/21||Ya-Yin Chang||Ashok Timsina, Nirmal Baral|