Meeting Time and Format
The Astrophysics Seminar/Journal Club meets in 338 Gallalee Hall on:
1. Wednesdays from 2:00 – 3:00p.m. and
2. Fridays from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Anyone in the department may attend.
On Wednesday’s we participate in the live broadcast of colloquium talks hosted by NASA/AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute. The schedule for the talks is available here.
The Friday meeting consists of two segments:
- 20-minute talk (+10 minute discussion)
- article summary and discussion (5-10 minutes)
Volunteering for Article Summaries
Please propose articles that are fairly recent (within a few months or so), are of interest to you, and you feel you can digest and summarize well. Check out the list of previously presented articles.
Where to Find Articles
- astro-ph on arXiv: “the firehose,” raw and unfettered
- The Astrophysical Journal: the main U.S. journal for astrophysics
- The Astrophysical Journal: Letters: short articles selected to highlight topics of broad interest
- The Astronomical Journal: complement of ApJ with slightly more observation-oriented content
- Astronomy and Astrophysics: main European journal, letters section at the beginning of each issue, each issue sectioned by topic (not all topics appear in each issue)
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: main British journal, also has a letters section.
- Astroparticle Physics: some IceCube results are published here, also a good place for dark matter and cosmic ray work
- Physical Review D: broader scope — this is the Physical Review section that includes particle astrophysics and cosmology
Schedule for Spring 2020
|Date||Talk (Speaker, Article)||Summary (Speaker, Article)|
|01/31||(physics contest – no meeting)|
|02/21||Shahram Talei||Ava Ghadimi
|02/28||Nirmal Baral||Sam Boos
|03/06||Ava Ghadimi||Marko Micic
|03/13||Jacob Morgan||Anna Parul|
|03/20||(spring break, no meeting)|
|04/03||(honors day, no meeting)|
|04/10||Praphull Kumar||Wenhao Li
|04/17||Nilotpal Mukherjee||Jacob Morgan|
Archive of previously presented articles.